Hello

Your subscription is almost coming to an end. Don’t miss out on the great content on Nation.Africa

Ready to continue your informative journey with us?

Hello

Your premium access has ended, but the best of Nation.Africa is still within reach. Renew now to unlock exclusive stories and in-depth features.

Reclaim your full access. Click below to renew.

New details emerge in Governor Susan Kihika's widely debated maternity leave

Nakuru Deputy Governor David Kones during a press briefing on April 1,2025.

Photo credit: LELETI JASSOR/MTAA WANGU

Nakuru Deputy governor David Kones has come out to quell the noises around the absence of governor Susan Kihika by giving clear timelines on her leave period.

Mr Kones, in a move to clear the doubt and silence critics, sought to defend his boss by clarifying that she officially started her maternity leave in mid-December before the Christmas break began.

According to Mr Kones, the governor is within her constitutional right to enjoy the leave period which he said is now coming to an end.

He appealed to residents to be calm while dismissing the critics as attention seekers.

According to the DG, the questions of procedure followed in handing him powers as well as the demands for her immediate return are unwarranted, since the law allows him as the Principal assistant to the governor to take charge in the absence of the governor.

“The governor is officially on maternity leave and the politics going on about it is uncouth. She is now remaining with few days before she returns. Service delivery in the county is going on smoothly and Nakuru people have nothing to worry about because the governor empowered me to oversee the running of the activities,” said Mr Kones.

The DG was responding to the allegations that were made by Nakuru senator Tabitha Karanja Keroche, claiming that the county has been without a leader for the last one year.

The senator who spoke while addressing a press conference last week accused the governor of proceeding on maternity leave without notifying her employer, who are the members of the public.

She further accused her of failing to ensure a smooth transfer of power by failing to publish a gazette notice informing the public who will be in charge of the county in her absence.

“None of these legal requirements have been met, leaving the county in a state of uncertainty and stagnation.,” said Ms Keroche.

She claimed the county was left without a leader which jeopardized the delivery of services to the Nakuru people.

Ms Keroche further pointed out the issue of war memorial hospital, whose orders for re-opening are yet to be complied with while many projects remain stalled.

However, the Deputy Governor defended her boss noting that she put in place competent people in the different departments who have been working in coordination.

He indicated that he has been spearheading the running of the county by chairing the cabinet meetings, commissioning projects including youth empowerment cents, borehole projects ECDE and Technical and Vocational Training centres among others.

“We have been issuing bursaries, drilling boreholes, commissioning of construction ECDEs classrooms as well as continuing with the county programs,” said Mr Kones.