Hello

Your subscription is almost coming to an end. Don’t miss out on the great content on Nation.Africa

Ready to continue your informative journey with us?

Hello

Your premium access has ended, but the best of Nation.Africa is still within reach. Renew now to unlock exclusive stories and in-depth features.

Reclaim your full access. Click below to renew.

Nakuru county bans advertising on trees following Mtaa Wangu's report

Advertisements on trees along Kenyatta Avenue. Trees in various streets in Nakuru are used to display advertisements for businesses operating in Nakuru, denying Nakuru the aesthetic look of a city.

Photo credit: Purity Kinuthia/Mtaa Wangu

April 2, 2025, marks the end of the seven-day deadline issued by Nakuru County authorities for the removal of all advertisements hanging on trees, signalling a firm stance by the county government in restoring the city’s aesthetic appeal.

The directive, issued on March 26, 2025, through the Department of Environment, followed a report by Mtaa Wangu highlighting how unchecked advertising was degrading Nakuru’s city status.

The proliferation of posters, banners, and makeshift billboards on trees had become a major concern, diminishing the city's beauty and contributing to environmental degradation.

According to the notice issued by the County Environment Chief Officer, Kennedy Mungai, erecting and hanging advertisements on trees was strictly prohibited, as such activities caused harm to trees, posed a risk to public safety due to potential branch breakages, and compromised the visual appeal of the urban landscape.

Businesses and advertisers were given a seven-day ultimatum to remove the illegal advertisements or face enforcement actions.

The authorities warned that any remaining illegal adverts would be taken down without further reference to the responsible parties, and legal action would follow against violators.

Residents have lauded the move, noting a visible improvement in the city’s appearance.

“I had honestly gotten used to seeing trees supporting posters, but now this directive promises a cleaner look within the city centre. I hope the county will sustain this effort,” says Chris Njunguna.

However, Susan Wangui, a business owner has expressed concerns over the lack of alternative, cost-friendly advertising spaces.

“While we understand the need to clean up the city, there needs to be a structured way for small businesses to advertise affordably,” says Wangui, who runs a cereal business within the city centre.

Further, a source who requested anonymity revealed that the directive would force advertisers to dig deeper into their pockets.

Previously, placing an advert on a tree cost about Sh 5,000, while securing space on an official advertising board now requires Sh 10,000 for the same advert.

“This is particularly to the ads placed on the trees adjacent to Nyayo Gardens and along Kenyatta Avenue. The previous cost was pocket-friendly. As we move to implement this directive, our request is for the county to offer cost effective alternatives that businesses of all calibres can afford,” they stated.

A spot check by Mtaa Wangu noted that most of these adverts have already been removed, especially along major streets within the city centre.

However, the question remains whether the authorities will sustain the crackdown or if illegal postings will resurface over time.