Motorists stranded overnight as trailer breaks down on Nakuru–Nairobi highway

The traffic snarl-up being experienced along the Nakuru-Nairobi highway, which is causing significant delays for drivers in the area.
Since Thursday night, motorists have been stranded along the Nakuru–Nairobi highway after a truck broke down at the Gilgil weighbridge.
According to the Gilgil Sub-County Police Commander, Winston Mwakio, the trailer broke down at around 10pm on Thursday, and officers have been working since then to ensure traffic flows normally.
"We have managed to clear the traffic coming into Nakuru. The road to Naivasha is still proving challenging, but we are working on it. We would like to urge motorists to avoid overlapping, as this also contributes to the traffic,” Mr Mwakio says.
Ian Njogu, one of the motorists stuck in the traffic, told Mtaa Wangu that there had been no movement of vehicles on the highway since last night.
“I was forced to park my car at the side of the road yesterday, and I spent the night there. Many other motorists were in the same situation, either coming to or from Nakuru,” he notes.
Allan Otieno, another motorist, says he had come from Gilgil and was heading to Nairobi for the National Youth Service graduation.
"I think the government should find a long-term solution to this problem. We cannot keep having this problem every year. This is a major road serving not only the country, but also East and Central Africa,” he says.
Efforts to remove the traffic congestion are currently underway.